Combinations of powers are one of the things that make this game great. It gets even better when several pieces can cooperate to create combinations like with Double Scavenger, Teach, Learn, Bene, Scrambles and others. The action of one torus make possible the effective actions of another. There have been several suggestions that utilize this principle in the past (see Transport and Carrier for examples). Here’s another I came up with, but I’ll need help with the details…
friendly torus mod (possibly a one-turn torus mod if deemed too powerful)
1) Affected tori redirect row and column attacks that reach them by 90 degrees.
2) The Deflector piece only redirects powers. It is not immune to them.
Please forgive the crude, crude 'paintshop' graphics.
The powered green piece activates a Tripwire Row that is deflected North by the 'shiny' Deflector piece.
This is a non-random power that put emphasis on careful piece positioning and making combination plays with two or more tori. With this power you can set up more complicated traps for your opponent.
It would also make a great bluffing tool. Even if your Deflector is unpowered, your opponent may hesitate to move a torus into its column since a lethal row attack could be bounced towards it. Row powers, which are often useless at the start of the game, become more versatile.
If the Deflector redirects enemy attacks, it could create a relative safety zone behind it where you could shelter more important pieces.
Questions to work out:
1) How do you determine if powers get redirected 90 degrees to the left vs. 90 degrees to the right?
- How do you indicate this on the torus?
- Should it be, God forbid, … random?
- Should there be two separate powers – a Left Deflector and a Right Deflector?
- Should it be a single power: Splitter – Row powers that “hit” the Deflector piece are redirected both North and South. Column powers are redirected both Left and Right.
2) Do only friendly powers get deflected?
- It would be a nice balance to have a deflector redirect enemy attacks like Tripwire, Inhibit, Pilfers and Parasites.
- Would enemy Destroys, Acids, and Purifies get redirected or just plow on as usual since they take out the Deflection ability?
3) What happens with ‘neutral’ Column and Row powers?
- I think it would be awesome to redirect Walls, Trenches, Dredges, and Scrambles!
– The surface of the torus takes on a gleaming mirrored sheen.
Figure out a way to have it work with radial powers. If we get “radial radiality”
going, the deflector could bend the path of the radial power in the opposite direction.
You could limit the redirected power to the same number tiles it would have hit undeflected. So, if your Acid Row reaches the Deflector 4 tiles to the right of the activating piece, it would only travel six more tiles north (or stop when it reached the edge of the arena, whichever comes first).
Another balancing feature could be that Jump Proof ‘covers’ the Deflector power, so you could not have both active on one piece.
This could easily be a Tile Mod instead. As a tile mod it would be slightly less powerful than a permanent Torus Mod since you could not move it once activated.